Preamble:
A while ago my significant other fell pray to door-to-door salespeople (seriously, in this day and age) and signed up for a trial of one of those we-sell-you-overpriced-ingredients-already-chopped-and-measured type of things. Turns out the recipes are way too international for the Mediterranean-cuisine-superiority syndrome of my SO and the box landed at my feet with an oh-so-generous 'you can have them'. I would still be annoyed were it not for the fact that the box happened to have a bulgogi beef dish, which turned out to be an absolute revelation.
I had been pining for it ever since and exploring Korean restaurants, and finally decided I have to try and recreate this taste or I'm gonna go bankrupt. Here is my version of it, which I call bulgogi-esque as it deviates a little from the canon.
Ingredients:
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 0.5 pear, finely grated
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 (table)spoon hot gochujang paste (or more - your know your capsaicin tolerance, not me)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion (v finely chopped)
Serve with:
- potatoes to roast in wedges
- optionally a dash of mayo; unintuitive but it works
- (pak choi to steam)
Procedure:
- prepare the marinade, which is everything sans the onion and meat - just mix it up;
- mix well with the meat, as evenly as you can & put in the fridge overnight (technically the recipe I am bastardising says anything between 2hrs and overnight; I left it in the fridge for 24 hours and the result was divine and now I'm afraid to change a thing);
- sauté the v finely chopped onion in a wok in a generous slop of olive oil;
- when glassy, tip in the marinated meat and crank the heat up + work with the spatula to brown evenly; once looks brown keep on medium heat for another 5 - 10 minutes;
- serve in a bowl with potato wedges.
Comments
Post a Comment