Oh sweet spirit and wholly smokes (and a fishy surprise)

 

 Intro

I'm a fool for a pun, and holy smokes if this sweet and smoky whisky sauce isn't a balm for the spirit - and any passing, unsuspecting haggis! 

Ingredients

2 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 onion finely chopped / grated
1/2 cup (= 150ml) smoky whisky (e.g. Laphroaig, advertised for its 'peat reek', yum)
1 cup tomato passata
1/4 cup brown / muscovado sugar
1/4 cup vinegar 
3-4 spoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/4 tablespoon pepper
(optionally a dash of hot sauce / chili pepper)
(these are guidelines, recommend adjusting to your sensibilities, on the sweet / sour / smoky / spicy axes)

Instructions

Simple, sauté onion in a wee bit of oil, add crushed garlic and let soften; then pour whisky and let boil off a bit of the alcohol - though how much is entirely up to you, not judging, and would be a waste of precious liquid gold ;) Add passata, mix the rest of ingredients and pour in, let simmer and that's it. Leftovers keep well in the fridge. I lavishly slather haggis with this saucy spirit of smoke, but works also as a glaze for a meat roast - or veggie roast - probably anything that's not a dessert ;) 


Inspirations

It also works amazing with cod as I discovered in an improvisation clean-out-the-fridge sesh: just pre-bake cod (lightly salted & peppered) on a bed of chopped leek (with a dash of oil) till the fish gets white / lets out juice, then drown (I mean it, not 'glaze' or 'pour some in', bloody submerge the poor sod, I mean cod) in the sauce and bake for say 15 - 20 mins

Comments